Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mets Making Push For... Jose Contreras?


According to this published report from the Newark Star Ledger, the Mets have expressed interest not only in Mark Buehrle, but in Jose Contreras as well. The report also states that the Mets are more willing to give up a top prospect for Contreras than they are for Buehrle since Buehrle will only be a 1/2 year rental.

*

OK, here's what I think about this. No, no, no, no, no!

Let me start off by saying I agree COMPLETELY with Omar and management's idea on not giving up a top prospect for a half-year rental in Mark Buehrle. To me, the price isn't worth it. Giving up Milledge, Gomez, Pelfrey or Humber for Buehrle, only to lose him after the season, would be desperate and pretty stupid. Remember what happened the last time Mets management got desperate? They traded away the top pitching prospect in baseball for Victor "I couldn't throw a strike if my life depended on it" Zambrano. So Buehrle for a top prospect is a no go.

Now onto Jose Contreras. The same Jose Contreras that has already proved that he couldn't pitch under the bright lights of the Big Apple. The same Contreras who is 5-8 with a 4.63 ERA, a 1.44 whip and a suspect birth certificate. He's probably older than El Duque. Sure he had a great season in 2005. But the guy is close to 40 years old. Why give up a young top prospect for an aging pitcher who has really only had 1 good year? If Omar did this he would lose some credibility with me I tell ya that.

The good thing is that it doesn't look like the Mets are going to stand pat while everyone around them gets better. Which is good. Just make sure that the deal makes sense Omar. That's all we Mets fans ask. Holla back.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Contreras, the great choke artist, has no business being back in NYC. Unless the Yanks want 'em. Then I'm ok with that.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Mets Brotha, I'm not interested on giving up any prospects for Berlhe or Contreras. Glad Omar isn't panic mode.

Notre Rican said...

If they are going to trade for a pitcher, it should be someone like Willis, who is young and enjoys the spotlight.

MetsBrotha said...

Don't you think Willis is a little overrated? I like the guy and would take him on the Mets in a heartbeat but I still think he's somewhat overrated.